Skip Navigation LinksScholarship


The Department of Energy's Office of Nuclear Energy (NE) provides undergraduate-level fellowships in nuclear energy-related fields. Requests for Applications (RFAs) for the University Nuclear Leadership Program (UNLP) seek applicants for scholarships (undergraduates) and fellowships (graduate students). 

  • Trade School and Community College Scholarship Program – provides students receiving training as nuclear energy-related technicians $5,000 toward the cost of tuition and additional expenses for the academic year.
  • Four-year College/University Undergraduate Scholarship Program – provides students pursuing a nuclear energy-related degree $10,000 toward the cost of tuition and additional expenses for the academic year.

Who Can Apply?

​Undergraduate students (including those who will be attending college the upcoming school year) at two- and four-year institutions. 

When does this program open for applications?

Requests for Applications (RFAs) are released on varying dates, but this RFA typically opens for applications in the Fall.

How to apply?

​To apply, click here and create an account. If you have trouble accessing this link in Chrome, please try Edge.

FY 2023 Scholarship RFA

Scholarship & Fellowship Q&A

Submit an Application

Students can apply without their institutions being UNLP-approved. However, institutions with students receiving awards will need to be UNLP-approved by NE prior to the transfer of award funds for students. This is done by the university/college through a separate Funding Opportunity Announcement (DE-FOA-0002265) found at For more information on how to become a UNLP-approved institution, please visit the Scholarship and Fellowship Resources page at​​

For more information please contact:Tyler Newitt.